Workin' Nine to Five

I got a job! Actually it was offered to me the week before we went out to Pigeon Hole and the paperwork in process. Then on Friday, I got another call and an offer of short-term job. That one starts tomorrow!

The "real" job is as a full-time VET (Vocational Education and training) lecturer at Charles Darwin University. There are several parts to it and will require some juggling and a lot of none-obsessing by me (that is, I won't have time to be a perfectionist about my teaching preparation and will have to accept the materials available as they are; I think this may be a good lesson for me).

~ESL teaching to a class of adult immigrants. About ten students. Meet twice a week for 3 hours each time. Apparently really delightful students, mostly women. They bring food!

~Prep Ed: This is basically remedial literacy and numeracy, to prepare students for further education.

~Introduction to Business Basics. Similar to above, designed for students who want to take business course but need to improve their reading, writing, and basic math skills.

I will be teaching at the Katherine Campus, with occasional week-long trips out to communities to teach there. In between my visits (about once every 3 months), students will be bused in from the communities and stay at the college for a week of instruction here.

The communities I'll be working in are Lajamanu (see also this CDU press release) Ngukurr (see That Munanga Linguist for a linguist's take on the community), Elliot and Kybrook. The last is only a day trip from Katherine (up near Pine Creek; see An Uneventful Sunday Outing & Monday Birthday Ruminations in my archives) and I'll be going up there weekly, but only through June.

OK. So that job hasn't started yet. Paperwork still being processed.

The other job: Temporary (3-weeks full-time) Business Lecturer, although the term "lecturer" is really a misnomer since I won't be doing any. The business lecturer is leaving (today was her last day), and the replacement who was hired took another job instead. They students work on their own on little modules. I'll just be there to help them if they get stuck and to record their hours, etc.

I'll tell you more about it and maybe about the weekend Country Music Muster in another posting.

2 comments:

Greg Dickson said...

Congrats Catalin! Can't wait to see you out here. Hope you give the Batchelor scrag here a run for her money. hehe...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear how the job(s) go(es). Also can't wait to hear your impressions of the country music muster.