free schools and the printing press

Thanks for all the birthday greetings! I'm happy to report that the other side of 35 does not look dismal or bleak at all. Opportunities for growth, learning, change, reflection, and joy do not diminish with age, it seems. Perhaps I even recognize them more easily.

In my search to find out more about the life of an ancestor who left Britain as a political prisoner and arrived in Virginia in 1716 indentured for 7 years, I came across this quote:

"But I thank God, there are no free schools nor printing, and I hope we shall not have these hundred years; for learning has brought disobedience, and heresy, and sects into the world, and libels against the best government. God keep us from both!"
Sir William Berkeley, Governor of Virginia, 1671


Three cheers for free schools and printing!

No comments: