June summary

We were happy to have a visit from our friend S on his way from Oregon to a wedding in Santa Cruz. Then, just after their school year finished, we went up to Sonoma County to visit Justin's parents. One of our days up there included a lovely visit to redwoods, followed by a drive along the coast.

In the last couple of weeks, Justin and I have both started classes. Justin goes every day for several hours. I am taking an online course (my first ever) and am stuying for an unrelated exam next month. I also signed up for an intensive one-week course which was only offered in Sacramento. So I took the train up to my parents' house and stayed with them for a week while attending the course. It was the first time I think that we had that particular configuration of family members for about 29 years (when my little brother was born). My sister came up for a couple nights too, and we had a first-ever dad-and-daughters dinner.

Sacramento was experiencing weather in the triple-digits (eg 105) Fahrenheit (that's 40+ Celsius), but I didn't get to really relish it (or get sick of it), as I spent my days in an air-conditioned room, and then was whisked around either in air-conditioned cars or air-conditioned light rail trains. It was eerie how little contact one really has with the climate when living in a non-walking environment.

Now I'm back in Oakland, watching soccer games with my sweetie, playing Settlers of Cattan with my brother and his girlfriend, and hanging out chatting with my sisters. Not quite as much studying as I need to do, so I'll get right on that. Hmmmph. Blogging as procrastination. I'm not the first.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Lovely, lovely to see some photos and hear some news.
:)
See you soon-ish!

bulanjdjan said...

Wow! What amazing country! Can't wait to see it...!! ;)