A few recent photos

1. Train-window-view of the valley, somewhere between Sacramento and the the bay area.

2. Snow-covered mountains in the Sierra, somewhere between Sacramento and Reno.

3. Justin and me at a rest-stop on the way to Reno.

4. Finally, for our Australian friends, and any other fans of Brett and Jemaine, a photo of a real sign-spinner. This kid was on a corner near my parents' house. Over the course of the recent weekend I spent in Sac, I saw 5 sign-spinners! Maybe they've always been there, and I just was never tuned in to them, but I really noticed them this time.

I certainly never see sign-spinners in the neighborhoods where I live or where I work. I guess out in the suburbs there are so many businesses (that all seem the same, I might add), that business owners find it worth their while to try to grab passing motorists' attention this way. It's not so different from street-hawkers and touts in less-industrialized countries, I guess.



2 comments:

bulanjdjan said...

Re: sign spinners. Someone just stands there, holding up a sign?

Catalin said...

Well, they won't last long if they "just stand there." They are supposed to move the sign around, dance a little or just jiggle it back and forth to get your attention. Most people are wearing headphones, presumably listening to music. Some of them are very enthusiastic. It's the kind of job where a high dose of caffeine is probably the minimum requirement.

Did you see the Flight of the Conchords episode where Brett gets a job as a sign guy?