A Saturday Morning in Richmond


Here are the lovely beds where I helped spread mulch this morning. It's along the Richmond Greenway, a bike a pedestrian path built along an old unused railroad right of way.

I took my bike up on BART to the Richmond station. For the return, I rode 5 miles to the El Cerrito Plaza BART station. I rode the Greenway trail to its eastern end, followed bike routes on surface roads to the Ohlone Trail just below the Del Norte station and followed the Ohlone Trail, which runs along the BART tracks, to the Plaza station. It was a pleasant ride, though if my front tire had had more air I might have ridden faster and with less effort!

Although none of my students showed up, it was really nice to get out there and help with the gardens. I especially enjoyed getting into the back of the pickup and pitchforking the mulch out. It was great to do physical work that didn't involve much thinking--a good contrast to my usual daily concerns.

I'm feeling happy and tired right now. I'm sure I'll have some sore muscles and will sleep well tonight!

No comments: