Constants & variables

I blogged at the beginning of the year about what changes the year might have in store for us, and what might stay the same. Already the year begins to reveal its secrets! On the side of constancy, it looks like we will be staying in the East Bay for awhile: Justin was just accepted into the PhD program at Berkeley. Some of you might be saying, "But of course he would be accepted," but it's a pretty competitive process and he wasn't feeling all that sure of his chances. So, he's happy to have been selected and I'm excited for him. The constant of location will be balanced with the variables of learning and doing new things.

I've pretty well decided I won't be part of the independent studies program next year; actually all four of us teachers feel that it shouldn't exist as it is, so it probably won't next year. I don't know what I'll do. I'm thinking of doing something part time. I'm thinking of doing something besides formal teaching. I'm thinking of how I could teach in a completely new way, outside of the strictures of the public school system, while still serving the kids who need my help the most.

1 comment:

bulanjdjan said...

Hi Catalin,

I tried to comment on your previous post but blogger/internet connection foiled me, so i'll try here instead.

Your fantasy school reminds me of community schools, where like-minded families get together to create and manage their own schools, setting their own agendas and values to be adhered to.

One great example I encountered was near Melaney in QLD, where the kids did yoga and meditation before swimming in the shaded flowing creek that ran through the school property. I wonder whether you'd find such a school in your own vicinity?

Though, the 'kids who need me most' factor is tricky: you want to work for and with them, no doubt you'd find many students who would welcome you as their teacher, but how are you going to get paid?

As greg said, why not begin as a private teacher as you described? Do you think your current students would be prepared to engage you? I'd be worried about the security of the position (e.g. the students have a tough week/fortnight/month financially, decide to pull out for other reasons), but I have no doubt that you'd be a highly repected and sought-after teacher.