Unabashed Political Cheerleading

Please go to this website (NPR) where you can listen to Barack Obama's speech on race and read the transcript at the same time if you want to. Give yourself time to really listen/read; it isn't sound bites--it is thoughtful and far-ranging and addresses race in the most honest, open and un-spun way I've ever heard, from a politician or not.

I have never before felt even a little inspired to campaign for a candidate. Well, I was pretty impressed by Ralph Nader the first time I heard him, mainly because he was clearly so smart. Barack Obama is smart and thoughtful. Wise. I really hope people take the time to listen to this speech, and talk about it, and reflect, and act. I think that with this speech, Obama is already helping this nation to face ourselves, begin to heal, and move forward together.

If he isn't elected president, maybe he can make a movie, and go on the lecture circuit like Al Gore!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is is refreshing to actually ant to vote for someone and opposed to having to pick the 'best' of a bad lot. I was too young [at the time] to vote for JFK.

But lets hope that Barak IS president and some else gets to hit the lecture trail!

Bill

Catalin said...

I agree, Bill.

I was disappointed that the news seemed to address Obama's speech as merely a campaign necessity to finesse his relationship to his pastor, rather than looking at the substance and ideas that were in the speech. Letters to the editor of the Chron also seem to suggest that people didn't really pay attention to the whole speech, if they even listened to or read it all.

I sure wish reporters hadn't gotten into the terrible habits of reporting all news on political candidates with the "campaign" angle instead of focusing on what they believe and stand for. It sets a poor example, so that the consumers of the news have a hard time looking at issues directly as issues.