Expected Rejection, Unexpected Dejection

I didn't get into graduate school. I already suspected that I wasn't accepted and thought that I was fine with it, so I was surprised to find myself feeling quite bad about it. Before receiving the letter, I had already decided that I need to figure out what I'm doing next year in case I don't get into grad school so I was prepared to have a different plan, but I think what I wasn't prepared for was the realization that "not getting into grad school" means being rejected.

It's funny what a powerful effect rejection has on some of us. In a long-ago conversation about risk-taking, I realized that we do not all evaluate risks the same. Certain types of risks I am not willing to take—while other choices I make do not seem at all risky to me but would to others. The risk of being rejected is one I avoid as much as possible, and as a result I am slow to truly make friends and always anguish over job applications. I knew from the beginning that applying to grad school involved the risk of rejection, but I think I had forgotten what it feels like.

Applying to grad school was a horrendous process for me. I wrote and re-wrote my application essays many times, and I'm not talking about merely revising them—I scrapped essays on their third or fourth draft to begin completely again from scratch more than once. I hated writing those essays because I hated knowing that I was going to be judged by them. It is different even from writing something which you hope to have published because in that case it is the writing rather than the writer that is really being rejected. Of course, it is difficult not to take that kind of rejection to heart as well, since the writing does have an intimate connection to the writer (one of the reasons I rarely submit anything for consideration for publication), but in this case it truly is me that has been rejected!

It's a terrible little letter that begins with the dreaded "I regret to inform you..." and ends with "I am sorry that we do not have a place for you and hope that you will be able to make other arrangements to achieve your academic goals." There is something really awful about that last bit: to make other arrangements to achieve your academic goals. I'm not even sure why I hate it so much, but there's something about "making arrangements" that seems really inappropriate. One makes arrangements to meet someone or to have one's carpets cleaned. One also makes funeral arrangements, flower arrangements, and seating arrangements. Making arrangements makes it sound like something I merely need to make some decisions about, but apparently I don't get to arrange to study education at Berkeley! (Yes, I know I sound bitter. I am feeling bitter, why shouldn't I sound how I feel?)

So now, rather than feeling a weight off my shoulders (well, no more wondering, at least I know for sure), I feel more hesitant about the alternative-to-grad-school plans I was beginning to make, feel once again the burden of the question "What am I doing with my life?" and am thrown right back into existential despair.

And, as if in direct defiance of my mood, completely ignoring the lump in my throat and the tear in my eye, it is lovely lovely lovely lovely springtime outside. The oxalis, the bane of bay area gardeners, is cheekily busting out all over, its bunches of yellow flowers pushing through chainlink fences, covering vacant lots and making great in-roads in many lawns. The fruit trees are scattering their flower petals all over the ground like confetti, and the tiny little birds with the black hoods have returned to the trees outside our windows.

4 comments:

Sophie said...

I think rejection is very under-rated. It stings much more than people let on, or usually care to discuss. So, thanks for your honesty. I was rejected for speech pathology both as an undergrad and as a masters ( !). It was so hard because I really believe(d) it was what I would enjoy and be good at...

I look forward to hearing abut your next moves ( which are somehow now rendered even MORE interesting than before..)

richard lopez said...

that sucks, catalin. i'm sorry to hear that berkeley will be missing out on a great student.

risk-taking is an interesting concept. for what are we risking anyway, failure? but is not failure the most likely outcome of any endeavour? i say that since i think risk also includes the risk of success as well. as for failure, which is guarranteed if you never try, it is now that we shall fail, but how well we fail. every human action and thought is predicated i think in failure. the poem, the essay, the thought, the love, is never brought to an imagined perfection. the best we can hope for is for love and work to be a beautiful unsuccess.

does this sound contradictory? i hope not. my meaning is simply this: failure is always on our side. we learn to live thru it and thru it we might just succeed.

take care to not let it get you so terribly down. i know that feeling of bitterness and anger too. but as i was telling a friend today, living itself is risk and there is so much beauty and joy in life.

sometimes i think of elvis costello's song 'all this useless beauty' and i think yes, that is just right, and rightly so.

giving a you big hug of support.

Catalin said...

Thanks, friends, for your kind support.

Bo, your observation that so much, maybe everything, "is never brought to an imagined perfection" really struck a chord with me, a sometimes-perfectionist. Obviously those imperfect objects or acts still bring pleasure and joy and growth and are worth doing.

Soph, thanks for the encouragement to write more. I will. Looks like the name of this blog is still appropriate!

Anonymous said...

Oh Catalin,
there is not much of consolation that I could give to you...
Only that I always thought of you as someone who is always so perfect in what you do, and imagining that a university would reject your application makes me feel - small. "If Catalin couldn't get into what she wanted, how could I ever?" And in reading your post I realized that that's why my professional life is stagnating... Because I don't dare to apply for something that I think might bring rejection.
So: Well done on trying and applying! I am sure you will think it all through and you will come up with something other which is satisfying. Maybe even better? Who knows.
Love, Maggie