National Day of Service in Honor of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Find something to do! Be part of this new tradition. I like the slogan, too: Make it a day on, not a day off.

I was so impressed by the huge and diverse number of people who volunteered for Obama's election campaign. I thought, "If only all of these people could continue their efforts, or even a fraction of their efforts, throughout the year, giving time and energy and spirit to local issues, what a difference it would make." I would especially like to see people involved in hands-on neighborhood beautification projects, especially if you live in a somewhat depressed area, because they give such a tangible and immediate sense of satisfaction.

I don't have a regular volunteer gig, and if I'm honest with myself about it I know that I would resent another scheduled commitment. However, I have enjoyed occasional days of volunteer work for shore clean-up and spreading mulch and weeding in public gardens, and that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

If you can't find a planned volunteer activity tomorrow, how about this? Do something nice for a person whose circumstances are worse than your own. Or do something nice for the environment by not driving. Make some kind of sacrifice, but make it joyfully and with a sense of gratitude for what you have.

Thank you MLK for inspiring so many and for bringing our country that little bit closer to the ideals that we hold dear as part of our shared cultural identity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Catalin, you *are* inspiring. I've been thinking about doing something worthwhile for a while now, and still haven't acted on it. Maybe I'll get down to actually do something? We shall see.

But your good example helps. :-)

Maggie