Heavenly Spring Break

I've been busy in the best possible way. Rode over 10 miles on my bike on Monday, on three separate errands. Monday also brought visitors (thanks Laurie and Helen!), which reinforced the feeling of being on holiday. I've been puttering in the house and garden, spending time reading gardening books and cook books. Made my first jar of preserved lemons (thanks for the idea, Heather!), made more lemonade, plus vegan lemon-poppyseed cake.

I've also been solar cooking again, though my box oven needs some refurbishing or something. We've done rutabagas, beets, butternut squash. I cooked some beans today, but they didn't quite get done, so I finished them in the pressure cooker.

Today I had long chats with two neighbors. One offered to bring us some lemon liqueur she made from lemons from our trees. The other offered me free heirloom tomato plants, which I promptly put into the ground. He has been in the neighborhood for 35 years and has been raising tomatoes for 30.

We had our old push/reel mower blades sharpened, and I finally mowed the front lawns today. They're going yellow, and I'm sure there are neighbors shaking their heads and saying, "What a shame! The old people took such good care of the lawn." What will they think when we sheet mulch it and turn it into a native plantscape?

No comments: