Signs of Katherine

Please enjoy the pictures posted below of various signs and buildings around town. Sorry I'm not in any of them, but you can imagine me behind the camera, cackling with delight.

I am really enjoying myself here. Not working is only part of it!

I don't know whether I reported that I've joined the library. I've borrowed various garden and plant books, though nothing like a good plant ID guide, and also cookbooks. I've also taken out Bill Bryson's book about Australia (published in the US as 'In a Sun-Burnt Country' and in the UK and here as 'Down Under' and in Germany as 'Breakfast with Kangaroos').

After having been in the library several times and not seeing anything that looked like a computer catalog or a card catalog, I finally asked a librarian today. She said, "I can look something up for you," and went back to her desk and her computer. Not the best set-up for just browsing books on a given subject, but it is an awfully cute little library AND air-conditioned (so much so that I'm usually grateful for the heat when I get out). It turned out they didn't have the book I was looking for (Arc of Justice,which my book group in Chico is reading) in the Katherine library or indeed anywhere in the Northern Territory!

I'm going to try to get up in time for two garage sales tomorrow morning!

No comments: