Just a Few Random Notes

I'm including a few recent pictures below from around Katherine.

I will be attending the Kriol Awareness Course at the Language Centre Thursday and Friday all day, which I'm quite looking forward to. I wish there were an actual language course where I could learn and practice using Kriol, but unfortunately there's not.

I know some of you are wondering why my pictures do not include pictures of people from the communities we've visited or even any pictures of indigenous people around town. Maybe you figured it out: Aboriginal people in general are leery about having their picture taken and also pictures taken of sacred sites, etc. Although I'd like to share my visual experiences with you, so much has already been taken from these indigenous people that I feel it's especially important to respect their rights to their own images. I took some pictures of the fruit from our bush walk, but since the local teacher was holding the fruit, I decided not to post it without asking her permission.

I forgot to mention that there was wild passionfruit growing in the bush too. The fruit was less than an inch in diameter, but sweet inside.

That's all for a few days! I do appreciate your comments, as they let me know that people are indeed reading this log.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading, I'm reading!!

Did I mention that we sold our house? Looks like April 30 will be the closing date, and we'll be splitting from here around that time. It's so close; lots to get done between now and then. It's all a bit nerve-wracking, but the final reward will be getting to relax a bit away from this crazy country. That's something to look forward to.

-- David