The Tropical Stroll

Through living in various hot climates, particularly Sacramento and the Solomon Islands--though they are quite different types of heat and different types of places--I have discovered that the best way to deal with heat is to stay out of the direct sun and move slowly. Sometimes these two rules can be at odds, of course, but it's best to observe both whenever possible; when you have to be out in the direct sun, it is still best to move slowly, especially if you have a hat. For example, there is an urge to hurry between shade spots. It's best to resist that urge and keep walking at a slow and steady pace. However, if you're barefoot and trying to cross hot pavement, it's best to move quickly.

In Honiara, the capital of the Solomons, I used to practice my strolling. It is much harder to really stroll in a city-like environment (that is, a place with paved roads, sidewalks, cars, and people hurrying from office to shop to office) than it is on a tree-shaded path in the village. Once, I thought I was strolling pretty slowly and then found myself coming right up on the heels of a couple of Solomon Islanders. As I was preparing to pass them, I thought, no, I'll walk at their pace. I slowed down. And down. And down. The pace they were walking at was significantly slower than my previous "slow" pace. Once I got into it, though, it was incredible. It was really a different experience of the world (or at least of Honiara). It gave me a whole new appreciation for walking meditation.

I have been practicing my tropical stroll here in Katherine, sometimes setting my pace behind unhurried Aboriginal people. The other day, one of the fellows I was behind pushed his friend toward the side, saying something about letting "the lady pass." I think I must have confused them when I didn't.

When I am feeling like I have a lot to do, I begin to feel hot before I've even done anything. It's like a certain type of thinking actually heats the body up. Maybe this is why we sweat when we panic? And feel hot when we're frantic? It seems clear that heat can cause frustration (think about fussy children), but I think perhaps also frustration can cause heat.

When I practice leisurely thinking along with the tropical stroll, I can walk across town in the middle of the day without breaking a sweat and I can really feel the truth in the Australian expression "no worries, mate."

I know most of you reading this are experiencing a lovely California spring, so being too hot isn't an issue right now. If, however, you feel yourself getting cranky because you have too much to do, try walking instead of driving, and walk as though you have tens of thousands of years to get where you're going (or at least all day).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great idea!! I look forward to slowing down my walking pace once I'm out of here... regardless of the temperature.

David

Anonymous said...

This is really amazing. Now I know why I am always so hot. I am trying to get too much done and trying to move too fast, even in the winter. Or getting too excited talking to people.

The problem remains how to change this behavior in our crazy rushed society, but at least I can see the origin of the problem. It isn't menopause at all! (Well, maybe some of it is.) Thanks for the insight.

Trish