Solar Cooked Cornbread

Yesterday, while we were away, the sun successfully baked a nice pan of cornbread in our backyard. This was the first use of the cooker. Today I baked some apples that needed something done with them.

I usually don't think of there being any particular American cuisine, everything having come from somewhere else. I suppose I forget to think about the meat things like hamburgers and hot-dogs. Sure there are regional specialties, but nothing really pan-American. However, I found that neither our German nor Aussie friends were familiar with cornbread, and I was so pleased to think of cornbread as an American food that varies by region but is eaten everywhere. It's nice, too, because it's something I really like, so I was happy to share it with our friends. So much terrible stuff (food, ideas, entertainment) comes from the US and oozes and bullies its way around the world. Why not cornbread?

I couldn't actually find cornmeal here, but I made it with polenta and it turned out fine. It's always a little nerve-wracking to work with a new solar cooker in a new climate, especially after you've really talked it up, so I was glad it turned out.

Now, of course, we're supposed to get rain tomorrow that will last for weeks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what cornbread recipe do you use? I use one I adapted from my mother - switched from sugar to honey, white flour to whole wheat pastry flour, etc. It's very sweet and rich, almost like a cake. Did I give you this one or do you use another one?

Corn (maize, that is) originated and was developed on the American continents so it's neat to find it is a regional speciality!

Mom

Catalin said...

I used to use the one in Laurel's Kitchen. This time I used the one from Mollie Katzen's New Moosewood Cookbook.

I've been finding that pretty much every recipe I know of is available online.