Caravan Rubbish?

On Saturday we attended a birthday party for L. The theme was “Trailer Trash Bash” and appropriate costumes and finger foods were encouraged.

Why is it okay for a bunch of white mostly left-leaning well-meaning middle class folks to make fun of the white rural poor? (“Okay” in the sense that despite perhaps some twinges of discomfort, we did it anyway, and had fun doing it.) J, M and I got fully into the spirit of the thing, hitting the opp shops (opportunity shops AKA thrift stores) in the morning and cruising the aisles of the supermarket for suitably fresh-food-free foodstuffs in the afternoon.

As I thought about costume and food, I was assuming that Australia’s “trailer trash” culture would be similar to America’s. Upon arriving at the party, I found the participants all putting on Southern American accents.

R was surprised that I didn’t realize that “trailer trash” specifically meant “American trailer trash.” When I said, “Surely, you have trailer parks, too!” he said, “But we call them ‘caravans’ and we call ‘trash’ ‘rubbish’!”

We talked about other potential party themes: Middle-Class College Grads, Posh Snobs, Poor Aborigines, New Age Californians, Dim & Self-indulgent Rock Stars, Taciturn New Englanders, Obsequious and Inscrutable Asians, Religious Fundamentalists. Now, how did that list make you feel? Were you offended by all of the categories? What makes you wince the least? Which party can you actually imagine attending?

I was going to post party pictures but Hello/Picassa is having problems again, so I'll try posting pix later. Sorry!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that I didn't get that I should check ananymous and that I shouldn't click on the letter icon. Put 2 obstacles in my way and there is no way!!!

Trish

Anonymous said...

So I don't know if you really meant for anyone to answer that, but I would say that I would most likely want to attend a Californian New Age themed party because I would be able to play all my Yanni CDs and use my Spirit Name (the one I gave myself when I got in touch with my inner American Indian; we all have one, you know). Plus, I love to participate in drum circles and talk about my moon-stration cyle with all my spirit sisters.

Catalin said...

Zan did you post that? I laughed out loud.
I was reminded of this guy that S dated (once) who somehow managed to go from talking about antique furniture to mentioning that bats (or some other animal)were his "totem animal" which he then clarifed as "my adopted totem".

Anonymous said...

'Twas me, indeed. And I belive personal totems are so important to our connection with our Earth Mother and our Father Sky. Right on, furniture-bat man. I also forgot to mention the part about where I would get to wear my favorite anklet that jingles and rings when I walk. (I think I must have gotten it when I got in touch with my other inner Indian--the one from India--although I'm not sure. Do you know the kind of jewelry I'm talking about? I not certain of its origins.)