The Secret Language of Academia

Use as many of these words and phrases as possible:

It's not entirely clear that...
There's a sense in which...
...a way in which...

It becomes problematic...

...to essentialize...

...which effectively...

The lens through which...

problematize

dichotomy
contextualize

calque
mediated
notion
qua

meta- (metacognition, meta-analysis, meta-data)

-ness (on words that don't usually have it, eg., thirdness, back-and-forthness)
Question to investigate: Is this language particular to the humanities and social sciences, or are these phrases and words familiar to those of you in other areas?

Please write in with additions and comments.

4 comments:

bulanjdjan said...

Argh! I can't think about this at the moment! I just have to *do* it!!

;)

Anonymous said...

Here in the world of non-profits and community development, everyone talks in terms of "issues" and (my personal bugbear) "issues around X". E.g., "I want to talk abut issues around addiction." It makes me ill.

David

Anonymous said...

'it's not entirely clear that..' is a phrase that might appear on a math paper where the writer's arguments aren't particularly lucid.

The others strike me as BS, MS and PHD.

Bill

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to respond to this blog entry about the vernacular of our workplaces. This is an immutable theme. It is evidence of emergent structure. The specifics change from discipline to discipline, but the permeance of this phenomenon is nearly complete. I find it interesting. Off the top of my head; action item, milestone, deliverable, timeline, dependency, vis-a-vis, unknown, risk-analysis, tipping-point, tradeoff, reality-check, head-check, bump-heads, off-site, teleconference, and my favorite personal contribution, "implication analysis".

Foodies have their own, etc., it is culture itself.