Street Shrine #1

This is the memorial at the end of my street where a young woman was killed last summer. She was a passenger in a car and was shot by someone in another car. I don't know much more than that. She didn't live on the street. She was about 21, I think.

On holidays (her birthday, valentine's day, etc.) this lightpost is decorated in her memory. Most recently it was decorated on mother's day, and I took this photo a few days later. The big mylar balloon has deflated, but you can see the handwritten notes, stuffed animals, photos and candles. There are stains on the sidewalk around the pole from the candles that were left there before and eventually melted.

3 comments:

Catalin said...

Oakland Makeshift Memorials (http://oaklandmm.blogspot.com/) is a blog documenting all murders in Oakland in 2007. The one that I've photographed at my corner is #67, July 22.

Sophie said...

When I read #67, I couldn't believe it meant it was the 67th in a list of more murders just in Oakland, just in 2007.
I am sorry to be wrong, it seems that is exactly what it was. That must be tough on the psyche, even the mass psyche of Oakland to bear so much grief and violence.

On the other hand, how wonderful that you and J are there balancing lots of peace and love :) - and being aware of the reality.

Catalin said...

The numbers are pretty sobering. Of a population just under half a million, 127 people were murdered here last year.

I was trying to compare that to other causes of death, but my online research skills failed me.

I did find out that in 2007 there were 2295 cancer deaths in the county (I couldn't find specifics for the city of Oakland). In 2006 there were 96 car fatalities in the county.

Spreading enough peace and love to transform the culture that leads to murder is a daunting task. I wish I knew the solution!